- February 1, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
Today, the Modern Virtualization Appliance (MVA) vendors favor distributed storage fabric (DSF) approach. By this approach, at least one of the Virtual Machine (VM) operating within each of its hyper converged infrastructure (HCI) nodes act as a controller virtual machine (VM) committed to storage management.
As a whole, the VM’s supervise a virtualized storage pool with conventional hard drives with flash memory arrays. Within this pool, Modern Virtualization Appliance such as Nutanix applies its proprietary system of redundancies and reliability checks to eliminate conventional RAID.
- Unlike the SAN and NAS which has high operation management load and requires complicated storage design, the Hypervisor shared iSCSI (Internet Small Computer System Interface) offers a convenient means to bring more server assets into storage consolidation.
- With Hypervisors it is possible to build a virtualization environment with only servers and network switches, so it is a much simpler infrastructure configuration than before.
- While writing data with less access frequency (cold data), to efficiently utilize the storage IO, the Flash memory used in SSD, is automatically transferred from the SSD to the HDD.
- It is possible to efficiently use two storages, SSD (FLASH) and HDD, according to the access frequency by migration of frequently accessed (hot data) to HDD, that is automatically returned to SSD again.
Modern Virtualization Appliances such as Nutanix, makes servers and storages integration function with software capabilities. Few storage functions are:
- Erasure coding
- Sync replication
- Disaster recovery needed by virtualization
- Cloud collaboration
- File Sharing
- Domain Protection
The post Storage Infrastructure without Complex SAN and NAS appeared first on erpinnews.