- April 9, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
For decades, the SciFi world predicted the changes artificial intelligence will bring. The ubiquitous use of AI has reached many sectors of our lives. From household tech to smartphones and now intelligent vehicles.
So far, AI has become omnipresent in our lives and has improved the quality of life. We may not see humanoid robots walking on the streets among us yet. But there are so many projects where computer intelligence is already involved. Some of them are in the educational field and they are the ones we will talk about today. Foremost, we will discuss the power of AI in shaping and defining the educational world of the future.
Saying Goodbye to Traditional Learning Environments
Technology is all around us by far. From the smart cameras that know exactly where to put the focus on, to the mobiles that scan and read our handwriting. It’s mandatory for the educational sector to embrace the new scientific movement. Otherwise, the teaching methods will become redundant and obsolete.
AI can support three important needs of the educational system. Here are the main types of artificial intelligence to track:
- The process automation. In the business sector, it means automatizing back-office administrative and financial activities. In education, process automation implies using robots and software to measure the students’ performance. Such software developments will revolutionize how universities operate with student academic achievements. The AI systems will enable an easy comparison of the grades in different study groups. They will also help to see the dynamics of each student and even enable potential university transfers.
- Cognitive insight. Such machine learning systems are designed to predict customer behavior in the business sector. As for the educational field, cognitive insight can point what courses need improvement. For instance, if students have hard times on a subject, artificial intelligence apps can help them to fill in the gaps. When a large number of students submit wrong answers to specific homework assignment, the software sends an alert to the teacher. Machines start anticipating where the student will make a mistake and customize a message to help the one in need.
- Cognitive engagement apps are meant to engage people using their natural language or emotions. It doesn’t mean apps and robots will replace the advice of teachers. There are only tutoring programs, based on AI, that help the student through basic learning and the fundamentals of a class.
here are quite a few universities that have already implemented AI in their methodology:
- TILE experiment from the University of Iowa
- Virtual assistants from Carnegie Mellon University
- Plagiarism checking systems.
Why Educational Systems Should be Linked to AI
As mentioned above, AI is already part of our daily lives. It would be a waste of resources to use it only for tagging friends on social media or product suggestions. The world is always changing, and everybody dreams of a better future. We don’t know what the future will bring but we know for sure that the change will come through the young generations. This is why it is important to offer them the best schooling experience.
Thankfully, with the help of AI, this task became easier. To prove it, we will present five reasons why educational facilities should implement AI.
Customized and enriched courses
Adaptive teaching is a new educational method that teachers already practice. This technique uses computer algorithms that analyze each student in a different way and focus on the scholar capabilities and studying approach that fit each of them. It processes all the information each individual has. After acknowledging all the data, the computer offers a customized learning program. Using adaptive teaching, tutors can be sure that all the class member will have the same chances in succeeding.
Automated grading system and personalized feedback
Researchers have identified feedback as one of the most important features for students. It was also demonstrated that more frequent and personalized feedback increases the student’s desire to study. Some automated grading systems have already been developed. The computer learns the correct and incorrect answers and grades the papers accordingly. All the tests made so far showed a reduced time for grading the assignments. They also showed an improvement in the quality and quantity of feedback.
Greater interaction between learners
Humans are communicative beings. Because of this, we tend to learn better in study groups. AI has also a solution for those who cannot attend one. With the help of the smart speakers, students can talk with a chatbox and the chatbox will simulate real conversation, making the study process easier.
Learning anywhere, anytime
With AI learning software people can now learn anywhere and anytime they want. There are already multiple e-learning websites and apps. They are at an account creation away. However, some assignments require human expertize. Those who struggle with writing customized reports can ask EssayPro to write their essay online.
Regardless of our age, we all love to play games. This is why gamification is such a used technique. With the help of the AI, teachers can gamify their classes, making their students be more competitive and therefore more involved.
Final Words on AI Enhancing Learning Process
We are all very different and we all struggled with at least one class during our school years. Luckily for the new generation, the learning process can be more smooth. Schools that will implement AI methods will be able to offer every child the same opportunities. But, just like every major change, this one also cannot happen overnight.
People are afraid of things that they don’t understand or can’t handle. And the machine learning domain is not an easy one to digest. While reading this article you might tell yourself: “This is all interesting, but it is a waste of time. AI methods will never be implemented in the educational sector worldwide”. I can’t tell you that you are wrong. But I can ask you to make one last thing: to remember that 100 years ago people didn’t consider owning a phone a must. Can you imagine now, your daily life without one?
The post 5 Reasons to Implement Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education appeared first on erpinnews.